Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My Menopause Blog: Aging Out Loud

Connie Stevens, film star of days gone by, has been appointed national chairwoman of the Aging Out Loud campaign and the national tour of "Menopause the Musical" both designed to benefit women's health. Entertainer chosen to lead health crusade

From my vantage point, up here in Canada, peering at 50, wondering if I'm going bald, loosing my mind, and doomed to groaning everytime I change elevation, I'm thrilled that the negative approach to aging is being challenged and discussed.

For reasons that are shallow and monetary, our culture, that being North American, have wrapped aging in a dark cloak of shame. And yet other cultures, like Japan, place high value on the wisdom gained from life experience. It's interesting to note that Japanese women report significantly lower menopausal symptoms than women in the west. No doubt diet plays a role. But what about attitude?

It's crazy feeling shame over something that is part of a normal life lived. In my mind, the immense energy wasted trying to avoid an inevitable and natural life process is where the real shame lies.

There's so much need in the world. We the priviledged (and yes, if you are reading this you are very priviledged simply because you can read) could do with shifting our gaze toward the greater good.

The various stages of your menopause will last about a decade. That's a long time to be stuck in the victim stage of 'what the hell is going on'?

Instead, let's try Aging Out Loud. Much more empowering.

Sue Richards

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Are you saying I have to change my diet and my attitude? Oh hell no.

9/15/2005 08:03:00 AM  
Blogger Sue Richards said...

Don't fret. You can always change it back again.

Sue

9/15/2005 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hehehe. Good one. I like being able to blame everything I do on menopause. I may be post meno, but I like it anyway and still use it.

9/18/2005 02:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue,
Of course it is only human nature to have a need to blame things on, which can sometimes make sorting out menopausal symptoms from the other changes that time brings. Going back to your earlier comments about 'treating' menopause, this adds further to the complexity.

I agree with your thoughts about attitude - fighting ageing makes it harder to accept, almost self fulfilling. Ideally we should be embracing the accumulation of wisdom - sometimes harder to achieve than to say.
Michael

10/09/2005 09:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can I to learn abt it in detail?

12/14/2005 02:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home