Tuesday, November 01, 2005

My Menopause Blog: Shame, Shame, Shame

With one third of the world's population of women entering or in full menopause as I type, I'm curious why we don't have menopause festivals, conferences, talk shows, stores, fashion shows, movies, sitcoms, parades, magazines, songs and traditional dances around the world.

Instead, we barely have honest, non-drug pushing, basic information.

My Granny lived to be 96 years old. She did not use Hormone Replacement Therapy. And yet, she did go through menopause. Besides her daily bran and molasses breakfast of champions, what would Granny have to share with me about the stages of menopause if she were alive today?

Women know so much about their bodies. Our intuition is a remarkable early warning system that can be trusted.

And yet, some form of shame keeps us tight lipped, doubting ourselves and silent.

I simply don't get it.

Sue Richards

2 Comments:

Blogger Liberty said...

I will take both. The best way to deal with what has been hushed up is to embrace it and celebrate it. Sue is the Empress of that. Menstruation has been kept under the carpet for centuries, and yet symbolically represents so much of what is essential in womanhood. Hated, loved, feared, scapegoated. Let us now gather it to ourselves and see it as a monthly celebration of what we are. Not what controls us, but that which is a constant reminder of our unique ability to give. Perhaps there is something to be said for the Jewish rites of Niddah and Bat Mitzvah - at least they are a recognition of the ritualistic in a woman's life cycle.

Thus the coming in and the going out of the period are suitable landmarks for marking and celebrating.
Liberty and Michael

11/01/2005 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Sue,

I have blown the lid off of menopause with the women I work with. Those that have or are going through it...well I am making them talk about it. Those who aren't there yet..I am giving them fair warning.

We are all talking about hormones and what havoc they reak upon us.

Finally some of these women feel "liberated"!!

RB

11/01/2005 06:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home