Saturday, November 26, 2005

My Menopause Blog: Down Down

Mostly, I am a frozen turd.

From early October to late April, since I can remember, I've been cold. Blue actually. Quite shockingly without any warmth to most of my body. People who touch me during my corpse season recoil in horror. Then they flee lest I'm contagious. Like freezer burn perhaps.

As I entered the neighbourhood of the Pause, the very idea of a hot flash was exotic to me. Imagine being frozen and then suddenly hot without the mess and bother of submerging myself in boiling water or burying myself in twelve layers of wicking, poly-pro, down stuffed clothing.

The mere thought makes me tepid and giddy with hope.

But why wait for my hormones to rear their hot little heads. This year, thanks to a flush in my bank account and a fondness for down, I've cornered the market by purchasing four high quality, feather filled items that I am fully in love with.

New gloves that triple the size of my hands but are guaranteed for minus 3,000 will solve my frozen finger syndrome. A duvet, light as...well a feather ....snuggles me through the horizontal part of my day. My full feather jacket, with the big puffy lid, gives my body practice for that post menopausal look that's nearing anyway. And last but not least, my vest, which since I've owned it has not left my body unless I'm wrapped in one of the previously mentioned items.

That is, until last evening. In mid conversation, down vest wrapped and all, the heat started clawing it's way up my spin, around my ribs and straight to my head. This wasn't gentle, consistent down heat. I was flashing for all to see.

Quick out of the gate I was.... unzipping my downy cover and tossing it on the floor with noticeable speed. The conversation, about this blog, got a dramatic underscore. And I got a taste of my global warming.

Sue Richards

Tag:

4 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

This is why men don't go through The Change. We're wimps. We couldn't handle it.

11/27/2005 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Terrific post! And, the descriptive writing made me COLD just reading it and then, HOT when the flash-flush attacked you, and I've been there; done that; and it's been finished for quite a while, but....so vivid is your description, I felt like I was re-experiencing it ALL for the first time, again! It's a pretty mean old time, isn't it?
I love that you are writing about it and it's got to be helpful to other women who feel alone in this journey!
I'm here from Michele tonight!
And so glad I came. And, as you know this too shall pass and what a relief it is to never have to think about another Tampon!!!

11/27/2005 09:51:00 PM  
Blogger Sue Richards said...

I'm told that men do go through a form of men-o-pause Carmi, if they live with a woman...

OOL...it's nice to hear from someone on the other side. I keep searching the faces of women I meet , wondering how they are doing. So much silence, it's deafening.

Sue

11/27/2005 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger Crayonsetc said...

I use to be cold... til I had my dd... now I am always Hot!!

Stopping by to say Hello, Michele sent me!

11/27/2005 10:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home