Saturday, November 05, 2005

My Menopause Blog: Saying NO

I hope I didn't put anyone off with my graphic description of Sudden Menopause this week. (please check previous posts) I'm not one to sport rose coloured glasses. Yet my nature is to see the glass as half full. Still, when a spade is a spade it's unlikely I'll call it a shovel.

If you get my drift.

So Sudden Menopause.....not pretty in my books. Not just because of the direct impact that I reported either.

Women in this menopause boat continue to be moms, wives, employed, students, responsible and fully functioning as though nothing was different. Sudden Menopause is not a head cold that will clear up if you just lay down for a day and drink hot tea. It goes on and on and on and on....dishing up mood swings that a trained acrobat would be reluctant to try......hot flashes that melt flesh.

Collectively, we have created a society that has no space for anything but full speed, straight ahead. We don't have or make time to grieve our losses, reflect on our life course, take in profound changes in our world or bloody well breath deeply. Instead we soldier on, ignoring our own health and cutting an even wider swath because our world is upside down.

This to me is insanity. And a tragedy.

We, the menopausal women of the world, can change that.

Here's the ticket: Start saying NO.

Sue Richards

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Sue,

After reading your posts this week you have made me realize so many things so I want to thank you very, very much.

I never realized that my misguided anger is directly related towards the fact that I was forced into this phase of my life...one that no one prepared me for and one that I didn't ask for.

The cast of characters in my life (my family and friends) don't understand the changes at all. It's wreaked havoc on so many relationships.

I feel as if I've been expected to carry on as if everything in my life is normal and nothing has changed when in fact nothing is as it was a year ago.

I have a long, long way to go and thank you for enlightening me on that with your posts this week.

Sincerely,
RB

11/05/2005 02:11:00 PM  
Blogger Sue Richards said...

Dear RB,

I'm so pleased to hear that something I wrote was helpful to you. When you told me that no one prepared you, let alone mentioned sudden menopause, I felt angry. That's just not right. Especially when information is available. And millions of women have faced this exact situation.

Knowledge is such a powerful thing. I'll keep serving it up about menopause, best I can.

Be well,

Sue

11/06/2005 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Keep it up Sue, nicely put. Yes, sudden menopause is a companion that is with you for life. Period.
Michael and Liberty

11/14/2005 05:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home