Wednesday, November 02, 2005

My Menopause Blog: Sudden and Premature Menopause

Not everyone comes to menopause naturally and in their own time.

Sudden or early menopause is common and usually very traumatic for the woman and her family. Sudden menopause can be brought on by or be due to an autoimmune disorder, a hysterectomy, anorexia, chemotherapy, a reaction to medication or radiation.

Women younger than 45, who experience full menopausal symptoms (not perimenopausal symptoms) are considered to be experiencing sudden menopause.

Premature menopause is menopause that occurs before 40 and as a result of Premature Ovarian Failure (POF).

Sudden menopause is as the name suggests....sudden. Hormone levels drop over a period of days, weeks or months. Due to the early and abrupt nature of this type of menopause, more time and attention is required to develop coping strategies that will help alleviate intense symptoms.

Premature menopause is less abrupt but can be equally devastating.

Because of the nature of both sudden and premature menopause the woman will experience a different level of emotional reaction to her situation than someone who comes to menopause in due, natural course.

If the disease or the treatment that is prescribed has contributed to the onset of sudden menopause, (like breast cancer), then the individuals situation is that much more challenging and complex.

Psychological issues will likely need as much attention as the physical. Often, a woman facing sudden or premature menopause has a deep sense of being ripped off, feelings of intense anger and deep frustration.

If you know someone facing sudden or premature menopause, try to recognize the full picture they are facing and act with compassion toward them.

If this is your story, be as kind to yourself as possible. Seek support. Accept help and comfort whenever offered. Breath deeply.

You've got a pile on your plate.

Sue Richards

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, I am researching hot flashes (and related subjects) and came across your post, this post. You probably know how easy it can be to get sidetracked online! Just wanted to say that I found your blog quite interesting and wanted to wish you all the best. Thanks! Deb http://www.herbsandnaturalremedies.com

11/02/2005 06:23:00 PM  
Blogger Sue Richards said...

Thanks for your comment and the visit.

I added a posting about your Eat Well to Be Well site on The Breast Views Blog

Sue Richards

11/04/2005 03:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sue - I am 40 and just had my bambino at 39 - I found out yesterday that I have sudden premature menopause and am in shock. My husband and friends have been wonderful and are helping me through this. I have asked for help at work through our Health & Wellness program and have purchased some books. As an anthropologist I am mourning the progression and rite of passage of menopause. Being thrown straight in is unsettling and shocking - I feel angry and sad and relieved and shocked and angry...I will try and be more kind to myself, your words offered an understanding that I was looking for.
Thank you.
Rani

1/03/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am hopeing we can use this blog to extend our knowledge of SureTouch and learn from each others successes and mistakes. I use this Phytoestrogen Cream

3/02/2009 01:51:00 AM  
Blogger Olivia said...

The first time i missed a period, I was 27 and I rushed out immediately to CVS and bought a pregnancy test. When the first one came back all clear, I wasn’t convinced – so I bought another and another until I used every brand they had. Then December rolled around and everything was back to normal. I’m still getting my period – although very inconsistent – and I think that I may be going through premature menopause. My question is, what kind of testing/treatments are available for this type of thing?

3/31/2010 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Menopause is the end of menstruation. The word comes from the Greek mens, meaning monthly, and pausis, meaning cessation. Menopause is part of a woman's natural aging process when her ovaries produce lower levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone and when she is no longer able to become pregnant.
I recommended TIENS Product for you.
Please visit http://www.tiensshop.com

7/23/2010 07:26:00 AM  
Anonymous kuala said...

Menopause is when your body has stopped producing progesterone and your estrogen production drops, you have reached the stage of menopause for women, where your menstrual cycles and childbearing years have come to an end....im a bit scared to experience this but i know nothing i can do...still i still have lots of time...

9/23/2010 04:31:00 AM  
Anonymous teapot said...

well we will all come to this so we should not be worried...all we have to do is just be prepared so we won't suffer that much...thanks for sharing this story!

9/23/2010 04:38:00 AM  
Blogger Betty5 said...

My menopause symptoms were caused by an ingredient in all those fiber bars I was eating. If you are eating Fiber One or Fiber Plus fiber bars containing Chiory Root or Chicory Root Extract and you experienced menopause symptoms, stop eating them! Your period may return. Mine is starting to come back!!!!!

4/11/2011 08:24:00 PM  
Anonymous early menopause symptoms said...

Menopause is very complicated problem I ever heard about it now i am 40+ years old and suffering premenopause but how could i say that its a disease its a natural problem almost may be every women have to suffer it. This blog post encourage and provide sufficient knowledge.

7/15/2012 01:34:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful post! It increases my knowledge about early menopause symptoms. When I get old, I am not ignorant anymore what will I fell because you alreay taught me. Thanks!

3/12/2013 04:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a full hysteric at 28 and now I'm 36 and miserable. I'm 30 pounds over what I was and so depressed. I just hats it. I take 1mil estrogen and I tell my Dr and all she says is something like...oh ya. Welcome to menopause. I hats this....what do I do. I feel like I'm going to just blow. I should be happy. I'm so blessed but I'm miserable. I wont take anti depressants because of weight gain which is why I'm miserable. Can anyone help me?

4/29/2013 10:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello I was diagnosed with Premature Menopause when i was 21. I have been put onto HRT but i am really struggling with managing to take it and the cost is so frustrating. If i was taking a contraceptive pill i wouldnt have to pay for it so why should i have to pay for HRT for the next 40 years?? My main problem is hot flushes i suffer all day every day and to be honest its really embarrasing. It's sad to think that i may never have children of my own especially at such a young age but i am exploring egg donation im just not sure if i can put my body or self through the chance of it not working...

10/31/2013 05:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home