Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My Menopause Blog: Courage My Love

My talented friend Jane used to be in a band called Courage My Love. She's one of those people that puts your jaw on the floor the instant she takes the stage, be it to act, dance, play keyboard or belt out a tune. Courage to be her whole creative self, my good gawd, she's got in spades.

And yet, I know she has stage fright.

I've been called brave in my day. People see confidence in my face and big toothy smile. I remember looking at myself in the mirror one day, a day that I was particularly terrified to face, and there was the look of self assurance. My face was doing it's own thing. My gut another.

The disconnect between how we outwardly appear, and our inner experience is something that can work for us, like in Jane's situation when she steps on the stage. Or it can trip us up.

If you look like you can handle everything, even though some help would... well ... kinda help... chances are that help won't appear. Unless someone has seen beneath the tough surface. Which is hard to do and can be a thankless task. Conversely, if you look like you can't handle the simplest task, others can take over your controls.

Neither is particularly healthy.

Living life is not about being fearless. It about finding courage, my love, to be real. Especially as we age.

Sue Richards

Tags: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is powerful insight!

Sometimes we do need to do "it" afraid, don't we?

12/21/2005 08:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home